Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Today I decided it was time to share my family's life with our son, Angelo. Angelo was born on 02/16/99 with a rare genetic disorder called Williams Syndrome. Williams syndrome is a rare genetic condition (estimated to occur in 1/7,500 births) which causes medical and developmental problems.

You can look up this condition at http://www.williams-syndrome.org/ for further information.

I knew the moment he was born that there was a problem. Everyone had that "look" on their face. When they said 5lbs 13.8 ounces, I thought "Oh, no that can't be right" I have the big fat babies. My first son, Andrew was 9lbs 11 oz and Jeno followed in the same weight pattern. Jeno at 4 mos was 22lbs! So you can understand the surprise at this little peanut with a full head of white/blond hair. It stuck up and he looked like a little chick. That was the day our life changed.

Angelo's health has always been relatively good. We has the ear tubes (6 times) and he has pulmonary stenosis. Each year we wait for the heart operation but each year no change (Thank you, God)! Angelo is now 9 years old but is still around the kindergarten stage. His emotions change with the wind. He has what they call "emotional letdown". Does not make sense since he has no emotional letdown. He is either up or down. No in between. He has not started medication yet but soon to be evaluated. He has also been diagnosed with PDD, ADHD, OCD, SEVERE ANXIETY, IQ of 60 and too many others to list. I will get to each problem as they occur.

Angelo has changed the lives in our family and everyone he touches. He has a true love of life. He can see amazement in the beauty of a sunset (he thinks God makes them just for him) and no one is a stranger. He will say "hi "and smile at everyone. He is obsessed with Tornadoes and Trains. He can tell you the tech terms for anything he obsess with but still cannot write his name. He can get on the computer and find his web-sites but still cannot tie his shoes (thank goodness for Velcro) It amazes me on the vocabulary he uses. He uses words that I can hardly pronounce! and he knows what they mean. But, he still needs me to help him in the bathroom and with daily hygiene. It seems with Angelo, we have around 5 kids in one. All a different age group(age 4-9).

Someone once asked me if he could be healed of this genetic disorder would I want God to do this? Yes, most definitely! But, I also know that Angelo has a purpose here on earth. Would I want him to have less anxiety? Yes, but I would never want him to loose the excitement of life. The pure joy I see on his face everyday. The unconditional love he has for everyone. I know that as his Mother, he was given to me as a gift from God. God has in trusted him (and my other children) to me to protect and teach him the right path to follow. Funny thing...I feel that Angelo has taught my husband and I more lessons on life than I can count. He is my "Special Little Angel" here on earth.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Great first post Laura! Do you mind if I post your link on my site?

Noel said...

I followed the link from Heather's site and found yours. My name is Noel and I am Abi's mom. I have seen your name on the listserve for several years now and am glad that you have started a blog. Now I get to know you a little better.:)
Abi is 5 and I have 3 older children.
Your first post is great. How true it is, they teach you so much.
Can I link to your blog from mine too?
Noel Clayton

Laura said...

Hi Laura,
My name is Laura, also. My daughter, Michaela(WS) just turned 9. Feel free to stop by my blog.

Tara said...

Our stories sound so similar - I knew from the moment I saw Payton too. Something was just not right. I am so thankful we all get to walk this walk together. Like you, my husband and I feel that Payton has touch us so much more than we've taught her!!

Edna said...

Hi Laura. Thanks for sharing. I followed the link on Tara's site. I am Edna. My daughter Carriella is 2 1/2 and was just diagnosed with WS in February. I'm still not over the shock...it comes and goes in waves. I look forward to getting to know you and your family through your blog. Would you mind if I posted your link on my blog?

Julie said...

Hi Laura,

My name is Julie. My son Noah is 2 and 1/2. We live in Pa and I was wondering if you lived in Danville because of your most recent post. We go to childrens there usually once a year to see Dr. Challman. Feel free to stop by our blog.