Thursday, May 22, 2008

School

Well, this week I have been doing the "figure out what curriculum I want for the boys next year party" on the Internet. To go via virtual or to stay with the routine I have been doing. It is so hard to find a good Christian based cyber school without it costing an arm and a leg. There are so many rules and regulations here in Pa. In Wyo, I just wrote a letter and that was it! Since we moved in the middle of their school year, I have just been laying low and haven't informed them of our change. But, this coming school year will be different. I can't pretend I just got here anymore. LOL! I know that I need to get all kinds of documentation for Angelo to stay home. I am hoping to conquer that one when we get to CHOP. It is so funny how I have to prove that it is better for my son to be with me, in an environment where he can learn, rather than be in a school where his sensory issues have no bounds and he is distracted all day. Putting him in a school environment with 1500 other kids.........UGH! We were told in his last evaluation report that he could only learn best in a classroom with 4 white walls, maybe 2 posters and only up to 4 other kids. Like a school will do that! He is sooooooooo wound up by the time he would get home that I was scraping him off the walls. I hated when the school officials would say to me....."You need time for yourself" For me sending him to school was like having a glorified babysitter. God gave him to me as my responsibility. And then the whole socialization speech you hear. Do they mean socializing or socialization? Two different things. Socialization means: "The process whereby a child learns to get along with and to behave similarly to other people in the group, largely through imitation as well as group pressure" Do I want my kids to be individuals? Yes! Now, my kids are social all day long. They can adapt to different age groups and then we have their age group that shows up every day after school. Oh, my.....I need to get off my soap box before I start on my religious reasons for homeschooling. That can be another day or another blog!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Laura, don't let the school district fool you into needing more documentation then you really need. All I did was sign an intent to homeschool, and submit it along with a letter about what/how I intended to teach him. It had to be approved by a spec. ed teacher. That was all. By June 30 I need to submit his portfolio, my log book, and an eval saying I am doing my job.
Pa law is Pa law. It holds up in every district.
We do the 180 days, not 900 hours. I can do 5 hours a day or 10 minutes. Whatever works best for him that day.
here is a link to a helpful resource website for PA
http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/index.html
email me if you need anything.