Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Can't get enough!

Angelo has started a new problem. He is obsessed with his favorite foods. If I buy him a bag of sunchips, he has to eat all of them or keep them in his room to eat later. I can't make cookies because he has to eat them all! It is like he can't help himself. I tried to hide the cookies we made today and he is obsessed with trying to find them. He will fall asleep and actually talk in his sleep that he wants a cookie. It is not all foods.......just certain ones. I buy oreos for Art, my husband and he has to hide them in our room. He gave Angelo 1 cookie. Wrong thing to do...........He searched the house until he found those Oreos. In our room in a shoebox. The little sneak put them back in the shoebox but left a trail of choc. cookies with the middle licked out. Don't know what to do? Now another thing to hide and keep away. We can't leave him in the bathroom alone because of the things he gets into. I had to put a lock on the outside of the door. Now I am having to put up a baby gate to the kitchen. Yikes! and now maybe a lock on the outside of my door. I do not worry about the weight but he makes himself sick to his stomach because he doesn't know when to stop. I am going to have to keep him on a food schedule and lock the cabinets. Maybe a chart on the wall so he knows when it is time to have meals and a time to have a snack. ????????

4 comments:

Katie said...

Jai climbs over our baby gate...
you know those magnetic locks for cupboards? They cost a bomb but they are worth it...
Put one on your pantry and keep the magnetic "key" in your possession at all times...
Also those door knob handle cover thingys, it requires a fair bit of coordination to press the button thingy and turn the knob at the same time - might help for the bathroom.
good luck!

Heather said...

Caleb seeks out food too. When he wants something to eat, that is all he can think about. I haven't had to lock anything up yet, but I have resorted to putting things up on the top of the fridge, or hiding things when he isn't paying attention. Out of sight, out of mind. THere was a good article about this type of thing on the WSF websight I think it was by Howard Lenhoff?? You may want to check it out. I forget the name of the article.
Caleb can put down 5 or 6 pieces of Pizza in one sitting. To think I couldn't get that boy to eat anything for the first few years. Seems like a whole different lifetime. :)

Tara said...

Oh my goodness, what an obsession! Payton seems to obsess about bugs and actually talks about them in her sleep - but I can't imagine food! It'd be hard to keep an eye on him while he's scavaging thru the house looking for the cookies.
Payton is like Caleb, though. I can't believe I couldn't get Payton to eat when she was younger - now she can eat me out of house and home.

Julie said...

Sorry to make light, but I have the same problem with cookies.:) Angelo and I would be fighting each other at Christmas.